Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Memories of Kurt Cobain

"The mighty oak was once a little nut that stood its ground" I just started reading a new book, "Eastern Body Western Mind, Psychology and the Chakra System as a Path to the Self" by Anodea Judith. This is right up my alley. Being a Psych major from the University of Washington, (Seattle) this is the kind of stuff that I love. I knew that I would be a Psychology major after my first class. I took Psychology 101 and would forget that it was a test day, show up unprepared and ace the test. It just made sense to me. (By the way, the exact opposite would happen during Statistics test days) I followed that path, thinking that I would continue on and get my Masters in Counseling or something like that. I think, if I remember correctly, to do the work I wanted, I needed to get a PhD. That would mean another ten years of school and when you're young, that pretty much seems like a lifetime. And... Seattle was still in "Grunge" music scene, the nightlife was irresistable. My ego won out and I decided to stop with the Bachelors and start having some serious fun. I remember the day authorities discovered Kurt Cobains body in the guest quarters in back of his estate on Lake Washington Blvd. I was driving to my nanny job in the Mt. Baker neighborhood, happily cruising Lake Washington along the winding road peppered with beautiful Seattle style homes, parks, enormous old growth trees, mossy rocks.. The road was blocked off in front of Kurt's home, so I just found a side street and continued on. I knew it was his house, but didn't know he was dead. The news broke a few hours later. Very sad. Kurt grew up in a tiny mill town called Aberdeen, WA. I used to travel there for work a few times a month, when I was a Pharmaceautical Rep for Abbott Labs. Dreary doesn't even start to describe Aberdeen. It's quite amazing that he made it out and became, a music icon. Back to yoga, this is funny, when I was at TT, whenever someone (mainly the Europeans) found out that I was a Pharma Rep prior would then treat me like I was the devil who needed some "saving". Their reaction was really interesting. I think we are so immune, as Americans, to what we shove down our mouth (pills, food, alcohol..) that we don't give it any real thought anymore. The Europeans at training were, BY FAR, (in my opinion) the most colorful demographic. It was beautiful being around people who thought so differently about everything.... Refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment